Tuesday, 21 July 2009

a literary summer

what i have been reading:



my booky wook - having never really been a fan of russell brand before, this book ultimately converted me. his wit and humour won me over, having me in giggles by a few pages in.
the bell jar - an absorbing story but definitely unsettling. i even had a nightmare after finishing the book - the story and sylvia plath evidently has a great impact, particularly due to it's autobiographical
influence - i haven't finished reading it all yet, but from what i have read, it's obvious that mary-kate and ashley are both deeply immersed in fashion. i've already learnt a lot from what i've read, from two girls whose style i absolutely adore.
scar tissue - noone know's the meaning of sex, drugs, rock 'n' roll until they read this autobiography. even as a red hot chili peppers' fan, i had no idea of the destructive paths kiedis's life took, both leading up and during the band's success. absolutely fascinating - the ultimate rock'n' roll memoir.

what i plan on reading next:


extreme - i figured this would be a good read to follow on from scar tissue and i'm sure it will be equally fascinating.
outliers - i've yet to read a theoretical book based on a person's ideas and suppositions and i'm keen to hear gladwell's thoughts on the outliers of success.

i'm really interested to know what you lovelies are reading, what books you recommend, and also if any of you have read those that i have posted, what you thought about them?


images via amazon

4 comments:

  1. I've read a biography of Ozzy Osborne and he's pretty cool, so it'd be nice to read his wife's point of view! I think my mum's read it, actually, and enjoyed it, so there's a recommendation for you! Can't say I'm a fan of Russell Brand, though...

    http://dreamingspiresandoldcartyres.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scar Tissue is really good isn't it?
    I'm off to the library now as it happens so I may look out for old Russel's booook!
    I've submersed myself in fiction so far: Platinum, Getting Rid of Matthew, This Book Will Save Your Life...
    -All good reads so far!
    Happy Reading Big-C x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read Scar Tissue but I do love rock biographies, apparantly The Dirt by Motley Crue is also amazing! I'm reading F Scott Fitzgerald's Tender Is The Night at the moment, I should really do more posts about books...I love reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Plath's style of writing; the Bell Jar was so sad but utterly brilliant, I couldn't stop reading. If you like it you might like Virginia Woolf's Mrs Dalloway. And if you like that you might like the film The Hours (which, plot aside, has an incredible soundtrack by Philip Glass)

    ReplyDelete